Skip to main content

Why should you iron your clothes?

I always love to hear my dad's childhood experiences of life not just because he is my inspiration, but because of his hardships and poverty he encountered which did not stop him from evolving as an established professional. 

Prepping myself to head for an outing with my friends on Sunday afternoon, I wore a creasy peach shirt and wrinkled black pants. And there, my dad called me and of course, scolded me. But I know how to tackle his anger, and so I channelised his rage into a life-lesson asking him about his experiences of ironing clothes. But my very first question was evident, contemplating his childhood. 

Thus, the conversation goes, "Hey Dad! I wonder, did you iron your clothes in your childhood?", I curiously asked, channelising his anger. 

To which he replied, "So what we were poor and had patches on our clothes I would present myself in the best manner I could from the available resources."

"Were you inspired by someone you saw in the ironed clothes?", I curiously questioned.

And he narrates, "I had first witnessed ironed clothes when a few customers visited my parents' shop, and I did not even see a single wrinkle on their clothes." 

He added, "I was the first one in my village at the age of 14 to wear ironed clothes daily and taught my siblings to press their clothes - but they gave no damn, and not many people were impressed."

I could not resist asking him as to how did he iron his clothes because I was sure they did not own an iron.

And he narrated to me an exceptional jugaad (hack), that he would take a lota (round water pot), and put a few lumps of burning coal and press his clothes from the very equipment.

I was fascinated by the way he had and still has a passion for presenting himself in the best possible manner with the available resources.

Though, I would knock him sometimes for being outdated, now that I am in sync with the current social trends. (That's another story!)

But as soon as 2019 rang, I decided that I would get my hands onto ironing clothes. I have only had the only resolution for the year, and that is to iron my clothes.

The New Year Resolutions work on the exact opposite theory that states:
"Change is hard at the beginning, Messy in the Middle, and Gorgeous at the End."            - Robin Sharma 
The Resolutions are subtly easy in the beginning, harder in the Middle, and oh, Error 404: they do not exist at the end of the year. 

What my New Year Resolution looks like!
My experiences of wearing unrumpled clothes have sure been delightful. It just takes 7-seconds to make a first impression! Your first impression might also be your last impression too.

Wearing unrumpled clothes has helped me to eliminate my consciousness about my outfit whenever I am surrounded by people. It has not only backed my confidence in the populace but has also encouraged me to engage with people, boldly. 

Steamed clothes will also in-turn be of concrete benefit if you're heading for a business meeting. Ironing may sound obsolete and unfashionable in this era, but would you wish to let people construct opinions of you coming directly from the bed to the office desk, it sounds foolish! 

If you are heading now to iron your clothes, I have got a sharp tip for you to enjoy it, maybe! 

Tranquillity: The art that lies in ironing


Alone in the house? Bored? Venture into ironing your clothes. (C'mon! Don't let laziness take over)

The art of ironing brims with meditative essences that you would discover when you perceive the repetitive gestures of the iron, the fizz of the steam and the fading wrinkles from your clothes are simultaneously satisfying. (Oddly Satisfying!)

Why don't you put some good music to the setting? I would prefer Classical! 

And as your clothes turn fresh, I hope you would also rejuvenate and revive yourself from a hectic day.