Skip to main content

How important is it to believe in Yourself?


‘Believe in yourself’, a phrase which can be heard oftentimes especially by the motivational speakers or counsellors.

To perform, present, study, achieve, accomplish, enhance, and do something you have to first establish that belief in yourself! ‘Believing’ itself is a strong word (or characteristic) of a personality.

Believing in yourself is same as gaining confidence, in a literal way.

Sharing one of my classmate's story:

My Classmate (X) is not as good in academics as in the field of arts. But what he decided shook the whole fraternity. He decided to go for Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics all at HIGHER LEVEL in International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme.

We used to taunt and tease him sometimes and also tried to make him realise that this is not for you!

Being average at these subjects he decided to opt for them. What I am trying to convey is he BELIEVED in HIMSELF which made him go for a typical subject combination leading to a path of more struggles and hard work ahead.

He was (and is) so very determined!

He has FAITH in himself and once the FAITH or BELIEF is established, my dear friend, you can achieve anything and everything in your life.

If we don't believe in ourselves this will lead to underestimating the potential we have and we'll ignore our hidden potential some day.

If we don't believe in ourselves, someday we'll end up finding that we have lacked and missed things.

However, the thing may go hay-way! If you believe in yourself more than what you have to will lead to difficulties. It is just like being over-confident and estimating more than you have. Supposedly, I am very good at Accounting but now I wish to switch to Sciences. I have faith in myself that I will do that anyway. But here I have overestimated myself and instead made my future dark.

Believing in yourself up to an extent is a step forward towards your success but exceeding that limit is taking two steps back from your success.

Sanspareils Greenlands or SG (the famous Sporting brand) uses the tagline, ‘Believe Become’ so here you believe in yourself and you achieve ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you can!

Lastly, I would say believing is as important as other aspects or approaches to life.

To do anything you first need to establish that BELIEF!