Skip to main content

My visit to the Tibetan Refugee Centre

"What's next - where are we heading, Uncle?", I asked the driver.

"Tibetan Refugee Center, it is, Bhaiya Ji!", he replied.

Excited to sense a refugee centre, for the first time, I geared myself with my pullover to step outside the car. As we moved closer and above the sea level I was only more intrigued to discover what's out there!

As I descended the vehicle, I was greeted with the cold breeze and mesmerised by the heavenly Kanchenjunga range.
The scenic view from the Tibetan Refugee Self-Help Centre, Darjeeling
Moving closer to the arena, I glanced at a tin shack premise painted in "Tibetan Refugee Self Help Centre", and I realised that this centre was 'self-propelled' by the refugees since 1959.

One of the many buildings in the centre
The centre is a mini-village accommodating nearly 800 Tibetans hosting a beautiful Buddha Monastery, a school for the tiny Tibetans and Handicrafts as well as Handloom workshops whose products would export to almost 50 countries.

I moved to the handicraft and hand-loom sections - in the single storied tin shacks and discerned the Tibetan men and women making excellent products ranging from winter wear to carpets and crafts. The centre also includes a training centre for beginners. The earnings from the exports of the hand-woven products are the primary source for the refugee centre.
 
My curiosity to go back to the time the refugee centre was established moved me towards the Photographic Exhibition Hall. Upon entering the hall, I spotted a hulky machine (I don't know what that was for but believe my guesswork) guessing, it is a printing machine of the not-so-old gold times!

The HULK!
The hulk was followed by an artistic sculpture depicting Gyantse Dzong (the Tibetan Fortress).

Sculpture: Gyantse Dzong
The hall was surrounded by inspiring quotes and messages. However, this Indian Freedom Fighter's message was bold embracing and empowering the human spirits.


The Key Takeaway

What I experienced inside the tiny rustily old shack is unforgettable and left me spellbound.

As I walked in, I saw two old men in their late 60s having a fringe of grey-white hair around their balding, blotched scalp. The sunlight from the window illuminated their tired, weary face they wore. However, their eyes still brimmed with a ray of sunshine in the spirit that they would return to their native place sooner or later.
 
One of the old artisans stood up from his work desk, bowed before me and greeted me with a broad smile portraying optimism. I was mind-boggled with his ambitious smile and interrogated myself, repeatedly! The smile he had been a result of finding happiness in the hardships and believing in the difficulties.
 
The smile was awe-struck. The moment was emotional. The lesson was indelible. I recalled my experiences of losing hope every time I could not do something. I remembered my encounters with failures. I realised as to how we lose our expectations quickly and map ourselves to 'quick' happiness.

Keep up your aspirations live! They stimulate you. They define you, and it is because of your hopes.

       This learning is by far one of my best lessons in the year 2018!

_____________________________

The Tibetan Refugee Centre, Darjeeling, on a sunny day. 
From workshops ranging from handloom to computers, this Tibetan Centre empowers the people of Tibet in foreseeing a bright future for themselves and their coming generations. 

An Abstract Idea

To develop a model village for an underprivileged industry. For instance, idealising a location for the unemployed as well as impoverished skilled workers such as in the sectors: handicraft, marble work, pottery; and, rehabilitating the experts to a commonplace. This model can be subsidised in the initial phase by the government and then be taken care off by a workers' co-operative. It will lead to the economic benefits for the workers in the 'endangered' industries where they may not forecast any bright day. Moreover, the government will be able to promote such models if one of the models is appreciated and can undertake training project expansions in the model village.